Benefits of Positive Psychology – Optimism
Positive Psychology offers a research based approach to the power of shifting one’s perspective.
This is the focus of many techniques, exercises, and even entire programs based on positive psychology, because a relatively small change in one’s perspective can lead to astounding shifts in well-being and quality of life. Injecting a bit more optimism and gratitude into your life is a simple action that can give you a radically more positive outlook on life.
Of course, no respected positive psychologist would tell you to think about, act out, and focus on ONLY the positive in life—balance is important. Positive psychology was not established to replace traditional psychology, but to complement it with a positive bias that’s just as strong as psychology’s negative bias over the last several decades.
How Optimistic are You?
Please be as honest and accurate as you can throughout. Try not to let your response to one
statement influence your responses to other statements. There are no “correct” or “incorrect”
answers. Answer according to your own feelings, rather than how you think “most people”
4 = I agree a lot
3 = I agree a little
2 = I neither agree nor disagree
1 = I disagree a little
0 = I disagree a lot
- In uncertain times, I usually expect the best. 3
- It’s easy for me to relax. 3
- If something can go wrong for me, it will. (R) 1
- I’m always optimistic about my future. 3
- I enjoy my friends a lot. 4
- It’s important for me to keep busy. 3
- I hardly ever expect things to go my way. (R) 0
- I don’t get upset too easily. 3
- I rarely count on good things happening to me. (R) 0
- Overall, I expect more good things to happen to me than bad. 4
Add items 3, 7, and 9 together as the pessimistic value, multiply the number by 3. Add item 1, 4, 10 together as the optimistic value. Your optimistic value should still be higher than your pessimistic value. Items 2, 5, 6, and 8 are fillers and should not be scored.
Surprised about your result? Would you like to talk about it?
Sample Coaching Agreement